Do you love to write and shoot sport? Want to just give it a try?
Then you’re welcome to come and join us as a RED SPORTS intern.
You will learn to write a sports story, figure out how to photograph sports, build courage to interview complete strangers and make new friends in the sports industry.
One of our ex-interns, Noor Farhan, joined News Radio 938LIVE in 2011.
Some of our interns enjoyed the programme so much, they stayed on as volunteer Red Crew in subsequent years. Over time, we’ve built up good memories together as a crew.
One of our past graduates, Ryan Lim, had this to say about his experience.
“The couple of months as a part of the Red Crew exposed me to more than I initially expected. I went from interviewing budding school-athletes to chatting with Olympian Quah Zheng Wen because I got the chance to cover the Singapore National Age Group (SNAG) Swimming Championships and the Singapore Youth Olympic Festival. And if that’s not enough, I even managed to pick up photography while I was at it!”
• Minimum age of 18 years old
• Currently enrolled in a Singapore school/institution (JC/poly/university/ITE). If you’re waiting to start National Service or the start of your new academic year, you are also welcome to apply
• Be able and willing to commit at least twice a week for 6 months (approx 6 hours a week)
• Familiar with and love school sports
• Computer literacy is a must!
• For writers only: Minimum B in English Language
• For photographers only: You should have your own DSLR
What to Do
1. Fill out the form listed on this page: Red Sports Internships
What to Expect
1. We will call you for an interview and you will sit for a written test. This will also apply for photographers.
2. If you pass the written test, we will welcome you into our internship programme.
3. Interns are expected to produce 20 stories over the course of six months. You can finish at a faster rate if you wish.
4. You can leave the programme at any time.
5. After you have completed the 20 stories and depending on how you fared, we will welcome you to cover national and international sports events in Singapore.
6. This is an unpaid and voluntary internship programme. Some may be offered paid internships.
7. Some students have also used this programme to gain Community Involvement Programme (CIP) points. This depends on your school and so please speak to your teacher.
8. Republic Poly students received 7 points as part of their Creative Engagement programme after going through our programme. Please speak to your school about this.
Read about the experiences of past volunteer interns:
“Volunteering as a photographer at Red Sports was the best decision I have ever made” – Chua Kai Yun
“Covering football and track and field was a walk down memory lane for me” – Ryan Lim on his Red Sports internship
2015 SEA Games: Red Crew memories
“I get this overwhelmingly feeling of appreciation whenever the crew goes down to cover games” – Louisa Goh shares her internship experience
2014 Red Crew share their internship memories and experience
“What I found rewarding was the growing number of views each day for my articles” – an internship reflection by Tay Jun Wen
Red Crew — our best memories covering Singapore sports
“Is that your on radio, Farhan?!?”
Red Sports — 5 years of memories
"I liked the crew!" Red Sports intern Yvonne Yap shares her experience
Second batch of interns graduate
“I scored at the National Stadium!”
For more stories about the Red Crew, click here
Red Crew (or those who made it through!)
Chan Hua Zheng aka Peanut
Chan Hui Mui
Chua Kai Yun
Gan Yu Neng
Iman bin Hashim
Koh Yizhe (aka Screws)
Jon Han Tan
Lai Jun Wei
Lee Hwee Cheng
Lee Jian Wei
Lim De Jun
Lim Yong Teck
Nyan Fu Keong
Rachel Ariel Lim
Soh Jun Wei
Soh Rui Yong
Tan Huey Ying
Tay Jun Wen
Teo Yun Teng
Wong Hong Yong