Singapore Sports School, Tuesday, May 17, 2016 — Singapore Sports School will collaborate with Ngee Ann Polytechnic to offer their student-athletes a customised Diploma in Business Studies.
Sports School student-athletes who qualify for the diploma will not have to take the GCE “O” Level Examinations.
This diploma is the third and latest through-train academic programme offered at the Sports School. The other two are the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme, and the Republic Polytechnic Diploma in Sports and Leisure Management.
“The collaboration with Ngee Ann Polytechnic to launch the customised Diploma in Business Studies is an outcome of one of the recommendations coming from the Singapore Sports School Review,” said Singapore Sports School Principal, Mr Tan Teck Hock.
“The Diploma in Business Studies will cater to the segment of student-athletes who have an interest in a business-related education,” he added.
“The Diploma in Business Studies has always been one of NP’s most sought-after courses by students offering the ‘O’ Levels; we are therefore happy that we can adapt it and offer it to the student- athletes at the Sports School,” said Mr Clarence Ti, Principal of Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
“It allows student-athletes, who like me have an interest in business studies, to continue training at the elite level so that we can one day represent Singapore,” said Tammy Boey, a Secondary 4 student-athlete at Sports School and a prospective candidate for the diploma programme.
“The timetable is structured to wrap around our training, while lessons are delivered in a monthly modular system which makes it easier for us to catch up on lessons if we miss any due to competitions. Furthermore, academic arrangements can be made to support us when we travel overseas for competitions. Such a win-win situation is hard to come by and is what motivated me to take up this course,” she added.
Diploma in Business Studies (Entrepreneurship Management Option) [BS-EMGT] Programme
– Commences in January 2017
– offered to selected high-performing youth athletes, up to 25 per cohort
– Deferment of up to 4 semesters for completion of the course within 5 years
– Lessons conducted on-site in Singapore Sports School
– Completion of one module a month sequentially with all assessments concluded within the same month of study of the module, rather than the taking of several modules concurrently
– Grant of leave of absence for approved competitions, training and events
– Use of appropriate technology and pedagogies such as mobile e-learning and flipped classroom to facilitate self-directed learning at any time and any place
BS-EMGT will prepare graduates for business sectors such as:
– Food and Beverage
– Hospitality and Tourism
– Human Capital Management
– Marketing and Sales
– Real Estate
– Service Operations
Graduates will be equipped for the following:
– Embark on a career as a business professional in the business sectors mentioned above or work for the government or non-profit organisations
– Pursue further studies at local universities or overseas universities (credit exemptions may be granted depending on results)
– Take up relevant SkillsFuture Earn-and-Learn Programmes which are work-study
programmes designed for graduates to gain a head-start in careers related to the discipline of study