By Football Association of Singapore
Jalan Besar Stadium, April 7, 2010 – The Football Association of Singapore (FAS) has today launched its comprehensive Strategic Plan for 2010-2015 "Building on our Success" with the clear aim to raise overall standards of Singapore football at all levels for the next six years.
At the launch ceremony held at the FAS headquarters in Jalan Besar Stadium, with Guest-of-Honour Mr Abdullah Tarmugi, Speaker of Parliament, in attendance, FAS President Mayor Zainudin Nordin unveiled the details of the Strategic Plan that was designed to propel Singapore football to the next level, with the target to be among the top 10 football nations in Asia by 2015.
The six key goals of this next phase in the progress of Singapore football are to:
1. Establish Singapore as one of the top teams in Asia and maintain our position as the Top Asean team.
2. Enhance the profile of our game.
3. Grow our business and contribute to the sports industry.
4. Work with MCYS, SSC and other partners to establish a network of facilities.
5. Continue to strengthen the leadership and management at all levels.
6. Increase participation in our game at all levels.
Essentially, the FAS Strategic Plan 2010-2015 offers a systematic and practical way forward for FAS to build on the successes of recent years as we move Singapore football from being ASEAN's best to be among the best in Asia.
The following 9 Key Strategic Areas have been identified to address the key gaps compared to top Asian football nations with the relevant strategies for Singapore football to excel in to achieve the goals in this six-year plan:
1. Football Development
– To increase the tactical, technical, physical and mental skills of our emerging talents to succeed at the Asian Youth level with the introduction of a World Class Youth Development Syllabus tapping on the best practices of leading football nations in the world such as France, the Netherlands and Germany.
2. Football Excellence
– To expose our National Teams against the Top 15 in Asia and Top 50 in the world where possible. We will be inviting teams of high international calibre to take part in the Merlion Cup and the Lions International Series.
3. Football Science & Medicine
– To provide access to high quality football science and medicine services and programmes to ensure that our players are as fit and strong both physically and mentally as Asia's best.
4. Football Participation
– To increase the participation rate and football experience at all levels by delivering the best participation experience in football at all levels as well as underpin the success of our National Teams through the introduction of the National Football Syllabus.
5. Football Facilities
– To develop a National Training Centre for our National Teams, positioning Singapore as an international training venue. We'll also be looking to improve and upgrade training and stadium facilities for our clubs with the aim to complete the development of 5 ´A' Class stadiums and one medium-sized football-specific stadium.
6. Football Business
– To further enhance the marketing appeal of Singapore football and to develop more commercial opportunities with the aim to boost the popularity of the game and raise revenue in football.