Shangri-La Hotel, April 6 2008 – It was a celebration of aquatic achievement as 29 awards were presented to athletes, coaches and other swimming officials at the inaugural Manulife Singapore Swimming Association Awards dinner.
The highlight of the evening was the announcement of the Manulife Youth Olympic Awards. Based on the performance of swimmers who competed in the recent Singapore National Age Group Swimming Championships 2008, the two recipients Koh Hui Yu and Lionel Khoo won an all-expenses-paid trip to the Beijing Olympics with their parents.
Lionel Khoo said of his win, "It truly is a dream come true for me to be able to watch the world’s top athletes at their finest and I look forward to the day when the time comes for me to represent my country at the Olympics."
Also honoured at the ceremony were swim coaches See Puay Kheng and Jin Xiao Li, as well as Mr Harry Chng who was presented a special award for public spiritedness for rescuing two children from drowning.
Awards were also presented awards in the fields of water polo and synchronised swimming. The dinner was attended by over 200 guests and graced by guest-of-honour Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports.
Mr Jeffrey Leow, President of Singapore Swimming Association said that 2007 had been a “sensational year” for the local swimming fraternity. “Records were broken, history was made and stars were born. We are proud of our swimming athletes for what they have achieved and are confident that our future talent will be able to scale even greater heights."
- Best Male Athlete Award (Senior) – Tay Zhi Rong Bryan
- Best Female Athlete Award (Senior) – Tao Li; Teo Wei Min Nicolette
- Best Male Athlete Award (Junior) – Ho Wei Ming Nicholas
- Best Female Athlete Award (Junior) – Lim Shana
- Best Male Athlete Award (Youth) – Ong Wei Shien Zach
- Best Female Athlete Award (Youth) – Quah Ting Wen
- Best Affiliate Award – ACE Swim Club
- Best Coach Award (Development) – See Puay Kheng
- Best Coach Award (Senior) – Jin Xiao Li
- Best Technical Official Award – Ong Hock Lai
- Special Recognition Award – Mr Harry Chng
- Most Valuable Player Award (Men Senior Team) – Lee Kok Wang Alvin
- Most Valuable Player Award (Women Team) – Tan Su-Lynn
- Role Model Award (Men Senior Team) – Yip Ren Kai
- Role Model Award (Women Team) – Valerie Loh
- Most Valuable Player Award (Men Junior Team) – Kenneth Wee
- Best Student Player Award (Men Junior Team) – Loh Zhi Zhi
- Most Promising Young Player Award (Men Team) – Rishi Shankar Pandey
- Most Promising Young Player Award (Women Team) – Angeline Teo Yi Ling
- Best Student Player Award (Men Senior Team) – Eugene Ng
- Best Student Player Award (Women Team) – Mary Kan Enci
- Most Outstanding Official Award – Tan Hong Boon
- Letter of Commendation For Coaches – Paul Oberman; Wang Jian Guan; Lau Kum Weng
- Best Over 18 Years Synchronised Swimmer Award – Gayle Esther Lee Renyi
- Best 16-18 Years Synchronised Swimmer Award – Cheryl Seah Peizhen
- Best 13-15 Years Synchronised Swimmer Award – Celeste Tan Jia Mei
- Best Under 12 Years Synchronised Swimmer Award – Michelle Goh Jing Yi
- Special Recognition Award – Grace Cui (Aquatic Performance Swim Club); Caron Hou Dong Mei (Speediswim Aquatic Sports Club); Cui Ru (Strongman)
- Manulife Youth Olympic Award (Male) – Lionel Khoo Chien Yin
- Manulife Youth Olympic Award (Female) – Koh Hui Yu