Roundup of 2009 B Division West Zone Basketball Championship
Contributed by reader Jeremy
The Commonwealth #5 Teo Zhixiang goes up for two despite the attention of two Chua Chu Kang players. Commonwealth won 48-28. (Photo 1 © Les Tan/Red Sports)
Clementi Sports Hall, Monday, January 19, 2009 – Unity Secondary thrashed Hwa Chong Institution 76-40 in a highly anticipated Group C game in the B Division West Zone Basketball Championship yesterday.
It was a close fight in the first quarter but Hwa Chong soon fell apart to yield the game to Unity.
Unity now have a 2-wins-0-losses record while HCI fall to 1-1.
In a Group C game, Boon Lay Secondary bounced back from their loss to HCI in their first game to record a 69-30 win over Zhenghua.
The first quarter ended with Boon Lay leading by a massive 20-4. By half-time, Boon Lay stretched their lead to 24 points at 38-14.
Boon Lay’s Jeremy (#7) scored a game-high 18 points, while teammates Nicholas (#10) had 16 and Nevin (#11) finished with 12. Nevin also had a credible defensive performance with many rejections.
With the win, Boon Lay improved to 1-1 while Zhenghua, who beat Hong Kah Secondary in their first game, fell to 1-1 as well.
The earlier game in Group C saw Teck Whye Secondary thrash Hong Kah Secondary 77-30. Teck Whye were led by their #7 and #9 while Hong Kah saw a strong performance from their #7.
Teck Whye improve to 1-1 while Hong Kah fell to 0-2.
In Group B, Tanglin Secondary beat Yuan Ching Secondary 60 To 50 to go 2-0 while Yuan Ching lost their second straight game.
New Town Secondary beat River Valley High 59-47 with captain Lor Weng Siang (#9), their #8 and #4 leading the New Town scoring. River Valley saw contributions from their #15 and #13 in a losing cause.
By Les Tan and reader Desmond Tan
Clementi Sports Hall, Friday, January 16, 2009 – The 2009 B Division West Zone Boys Basketball Championship tipped off last week with two rounds of games and zone favourites Jurong Secondary, Unity Secondary and New Town Secondary all got off to winning starts.
In an ongoing poll of the top four basketball schools by zone, readers have chosen Unity, Jurong, New Town and Hwa Chong Institution as the likely top four in the West Zone (see poll below).
Jurong, defending west zone champions, started their campaign with a 75-49 mauling of Dunearn Secondary while Unity, who finished third in the zone, hammered Teck Whye Secondary 93-21.
New Town, who finished second to Jurong in the zonal final, posted a comfortable 72-26 victory over Yuan Ching while Hwa Chong Institution, who did not make the top four last year, beat Boon Lay 73-45.
In the game between Greenridge Secondary and Clementi Town Secondary, good play by the Greenridge pair of Terence Tang (#4) and Cai Wen Jie (#7) with 16 points each helped their team to a 56-38 win in a Group E game.
A beautiful assist by the Greenridge #8 on a scoring play was a highlight of the first quarter which saw Greenridge trailing 3-21 at the end of the first 10 minutes of play.
Greenridge came out in the second quarter, employing a successful full-court press to haul themselves into a commanding 31-26 lead by half-time, an astonishing 28-point run, to set themselves up for their eventual victory.
The Westwood #14 goes round an NUS High player. Westwood eventually won 49-13. (Photo 2 © Les Tan/Red Sports)
The Jurongville #11 is stripped of the ball by a Bukit Panjang Govt High player. Bukit Panjang won the game by a whopping 74-21. (Photo 3 © Les Tan/Red Sports)
Loo Jia Man of Jurong West drives into the paint for a layup against Kranji Secondary. Kranji eventually won the game 50-43. (Photo 4 © Les Tan/Red Sports)
N.B. If you recognise any of the players featured, please leave their names in the comments section and we’ll update the captions. Thanks.
Vote your top 4 B Division basketball boys schools by zone
- Catholic High (South Zone) (28%, 245 Votes)
- Unity Secondary (West Zone) (24%, 205 Votes)
- Anglican High (East Zone) (22%, 188 Votes)
- Presbyterian High (North Zone) (19%, 169 Votes)
- Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary (North Zone) (19%, 167 Votes)
- Jurong Secondary (West Zone) (17%, 148 Votes)
- New Town Secondary (West Zone) (16%, 143 Votes)
- Raffles Institution (South Zone) (16%, 139 Votes)
- Seng Kang Secondary (North Zone) (15%, 133 Votes)
- Hwa Chong Institution (West Zone) (11%, 99 Votes)
- Chung Cheng High (Main) (East Zone) (11%, 97 Votes)
- Gan Eng Seng Secondary (South Zone) (11%, 92 Votes)
- Chung Cheng High (Yishun) (North Zone) (10%, 90 Votes)
- Maris Stella High (North Zone) (10%, 84 Votes)
- Woodlands Ring Secondary (North Zone) (9%, 81 Votes)
- Dunman High (East Zone) (9%, 79 Votes)
- Mayflower Secondary (South Zone) (9%, 74 Votes)
- Dunman Secondary (East Zone) (8%, 72 Votes)
- Greenridge Secondary (West Zone) (7%, 63 Votes)
- North Vista Secondary (North Zone) (7%, 62 Votes)
- Ngee Ann Secondary (East Zone) (7%, 60 Votes)
- Yuying Secondary (South Zone) (6%, 49 Votes)
- Nan Hua High (West Zone) (5%, 46 Votes)
- Queensway Secondary (South Zone) (5%, 45 Votes)
- Christ Church Secondary (North Zone) (5%, 43 Votes)
- Bukit Panjang Govt High (West Zone) (5%, 42 Votes)
- Yishun Secondary (North Zone) (5%, 41 Votes)
- Kranji Secondary (West Zone) (4%, 33 Votes)
- Henderson Secondary (South Zone) (3%, 29 Votes)
- Queenstown Secondary (South Zone) (3%, 28 Votes)
- Bukit Merah Secondary (South Zone) (3%, 25 Votes)
- Bedok View Secondary (East Zone) (3%, 24 Votes)
- Montfort Secondary (North Zone) (3%, 22 Votes)
- Hillgrove Secondary (West Zone) (2%, 21 Votes)
- Yishun Town Secondary (North Zone) (2%, 21 Votes)
Total Voters: 867